Dictionaries, Commentaries, Encyclopedias, Concordances:
- Evangelical Dictionary of Theology by Walter A. Elwell [Baker Academic; 2 edition - May 1, 2001]
- A balanced overview of Evangelical Theology
- A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs by David W. Bercot [Hendrickson Publishers - July 1, 1998]
- Contains over 700 theological, moral and historical topics which opens up the world of early Christianity.
- Dictionary of Judaism in the Biblical Period: 450 B.C.E. to 600 C.E. by Jacob Neusner and William Scott Green [Hendrickson Publishers - June 1, 1999]
- Defines the concepts, terms and practices in early Judaism. A resource with indispensable information for the serious Bible student.
- Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Dictionary: Completely Revised and Updated Edition by Ronald F. Youngblood [Thomas Nelson - August 25, 1995]
- A comprehensive dictionary with maps, photographs and pronunciation guides.
- Tyndale Bible Dictionary by Walter A. Elwell and Philip W., Ph.D. Comfort [Tyndale House Publishers - February 6, 2008]
- The work of 139 scholars this dictionary includes cross-references, additional details along with maps, illustrations and photos. Laid out in BRI fashion it makes an easy reference guide.
- Vine's Expository Dictionary of the Old & New Testament Words by W. E. Vine [Nelson's Publlishing]
- Help in understanding word, context and where they come from.
- Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of The Bible by James Strong [Hendrickson Publishers; Har/Cdr Up edition - June 30, 2007]
- Need help finding a word or verse in scripture? What does the word mean in Greek or Hebrew? This concordance is one of the most used reference tools for the KJV.
- The Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible, 5 Volumes by Merrill C. Tenney [Zondervan -1976]
- A comprehensive encyclopedia featuring contributions for over 200 scholars.
- The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (4 Volume Set) by James Orr, John L. Nuelsen, and Edgar Young Mullins [Hendrickson Publishers; Rei (4 Volume Set) edition - January 1, 1994]
- A classic reference dictionary that gives detailed information on Biblical and historical times.
- Evangelical Commentary on the Bible by Walter A. Elwell [Baker Pub Group - September 1989]
- An easy to understand commentary that includes outlines and introductions to each book.
- The Septuagint with Apocrypha: Greek and English by L. C. L., Sir Brenton [Hendrickson Publishers - April 1, 1986]
- This is the Greek translation of the ancient Hebrew paralleled by the English translation.
- The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations by Michael W. Holmes [Baker Academic - November 1, 2007]
- Includes translation of various writers like Clement, Ignatius, and Polycarp. A great tool to begin a study of early church history.
- The Complete Sermons of Martin Luther in 7 Volumes [Baker Book House - 2000]
- Guide to Pronouncing Biblical Names by T. S. K. Scott-Craig [Morehouse Publishing - January 1, 1982]
- A small book that is a tremendous help in knowing how to pronounce those unfamiliar names listed in the Bible.
- A History of Christianity, Volume 1: Beginnings to 1500 by Kenneth S. Latourette [HarperOne; Revised edition - October 15, 1975]
- Considered a classic this book gives an overview of church history up to the 1500's.
- A History of Christianity, Volume 2: Reformation to the Present by Kenneth S. Latourette [HarperOne; Revised edition - October 15, 1975]
- Gives an overview of church history from the reformation to date of writing.
- Life in Biblical Israel by Philip J. King and Lawrence E. Stager [Westminster John Knox Press; 1 edition - January 16, 2002]
- A recreation of life and thoughts of the people of Israel.
- A History of Israel by John Bright [Westminster John Knox Press; 4 edition - August 2000]
- Not an easy read but packed with information.
- A History of Israel : From Conquest to Exile by John J. Davis [Baker Book House - 1981]
- A History of Israel: From the Bronze Age Through the Jewish Wars by Walter C. Kaiser [Broadman & Holman Publishers - January 1998]
- The New Manners & Customs of Bible Times by Ralph Gower [Moody Publishers - October 12, 2005]
- Maps, photographs, charts and diagrams help bring to life the cultural aspect of the Bible.
- Insights Into Bible Times and Customs by G. Christian Weiss [Back to the Bible - 1972]
- Josephus: The Essential Writings by Flavius Josephus and Paul L. Maier [Kregel Academic & Professional - July 12, 1990]
- Maier translates and condenses Josephus into an easy to read format.
- The Stones Cry Out: What Archaeology Reveals About the Truth of the Bible by Randall Price [Harvest House Publishers - November 1, 1997]
- Archaeological support for Biblical truth.
- The Origin of the Bible by F.F. Bruce, J.I. Packard, Philip Comfort and Carl F.H. Henry [Tyndale House - 2004]
- Gives and overview of how the Bible began; it's inspiration, canonization and translation.
- Evidence That Demands a Verdict, Volume 1: Historical Evidences for the Christian Faith by Josh McDowell
- A defense for the claims of Christianity, the New Testament and the life of Christ
- Evidence That Demands a Verdict, Volume2 by Josh McDowell
- This book addresses archaeological, historical and literary criticism.
- The New Evidence That Demands A Verdict Fully Updated To Answer The Questions Challenging Christians Today by Josh McDowell [Thomas Nelson; Rev Upd edition - November 23, 1999]
- The updated version of his first 2 volumes. Be ready with a defense of the gospel and the issues of today.
- Kingdom of the Cults by Walter Martin and Ravi Zacharias [Bethany House; Rev Upd edition - October 1, 2003]
- A reference work for major cults including Jehovah Witness, Mormonism, Unification, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, New Age, etc.
Difficult Passages, Imagery, Figure of Speech:
- Today's Handbook for Solving Bible Difficulties by David I. O'Brien [Bethany House Publishers - July 1990]
- A helpful guide in solving difficult passages in the Bible
- New International Encyclopedia of Bible Difficulties by Jr., Gleason L. Archer [Zondervan - August 1, 2001]
- A book that provides some insight to the Bible's most difficult questions.
- Hard Sayings of the Bible by Peter H. Davids, Frederick Fyvie Bruce, Manfred T. Brauch, and Walter C. Kaiser [InterVarsity Press; Subsequent edition - October 1996]
- Historical, cultural, and linguistic background helps provide good references for those difficult verses.
- Dictionary of Biblical Imagery by Leland Ryken, Jim Wilhoit, Tremper Longman, and Colin Duriez [InterVarsity Press - November 1998]
- Explores the images, symbols, motifs, and metaphors of the Bible
- Figures of Speech Used in the Bible: Explained and Illustrated by E. W. Bullinger [Baker Books - April 1, 2003]
- A valuable reference tool in understanding and explaining the different figures of speech used in nearly 8.000 passages throughout the Bible.
Maps and Charts:
- Nelson's Complete Book of Bible Maps and Charts: All the Visual Bible Study Aids and Helps in One Key Resource-Fully Reproducible by Nelson Reference [Thomas Nelson - September 4, 1999]
- A resource full of visual aids which can be reproduced for classroom use.
- Tyndale Handbook of Bible Charts and Maps by Neil S. Wilson and Linda Chaffee Taylor [Tyndale House Publishers; Pap/Com edition - October 1, 2001]
- Reproducible for classroom use this book contains over 400 charts and 200 maps.
- The Moody Atlas of Bible Lands by Barry Beitzel [Moody Publishers - October 15, 1985]
- Text and maps combine to make this atlas a great reference tool for your library.