- Three Views on the Millennium and Beyond by Darrell L. Bock, Jr., Kenneth L. Gentry, Robert B. Strimple, and Stanley N. Gundry [Zondervan - March 1, 1999]
- Unfamiliar with eschatology or want a better understanding of premillennial, postmillennial, and amillennial views, then this book will help.
Women in Ministry:
- Women in Ministry: Four Views by Bonnidell Clouse and Robert G. Clouse [InterVarsity Press - May 1989]
- Each writer expresses their view on women in ministry and responds to other views held.
- I Suffer Not a Woman: Rethinking I Timothy 2:1115 in Light of Ancient Evidence by Richard Clark Kroeger and Catherine Clark Kroeger [Baker Academic - February 1, 1998]
- Archaeological and scriptural evidence sheds light on what Paul spoke about women in 1 Timothy.
- Powers of Darkness: Principalities & Powers in Paul's Letters by Clinton E. Arnold [InterVarsity Press - January 1992]
- Examining the Greek, Jewish and Roman beliefs, Clinton Arnold looks at the forces of darkness through the letters of Paul and how we can contend with them today.
- Power and Magic: The Concept of Power in Ephesians by Clinton E. Arnold [Wipf & Stock Publishers - December 2001]
- Understanding the spiritual interests and power in first century Asia Minor.
- 3 Crucial Questions about Spiritual Warfare by Clinton E. Arnold [Baker Academic - August 1, 1997]
- Answers these three questions: What is spiritual warfare? Can a Christian be demon-possessed? Are we called to engage territorial spirits?
- The Problem With Paul by Brian J. Dodd [InterVarsity Press - May 1996]
- Paul, controversial and seemingly contradictory? Helping to understand and gain insight into Paul and his teachings.
- Paul Apostle of the Heart Set Free by Frederick Fyvie Bruce [Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company - January 2000]
- An excellent book on Paul, his personality and the culture of the times.
- God's Empowering Presence: The Holy Spirit in the Letters of Paul by Gordon D. Fee [Hendrickson Publishers - July 1, 1994]
- A comprehensive look at Paul's understanding of the Holy Spirit.
- Four Views on Eternal Security by Michael S. Horton, Norman L. Geisler, Stephen M. Ashby, and J. Steven Harper [Zondervan - May 1, 2002]
- Weigh the strengths and weaknesses as each view is discussed: classical Calvinist, moderate Calvinist, reformed Arminian, and Wesleyan Arminian
- Four Views on Hell by John F. Walvoord, Zachary J. Hayes, Clark H. Pinnock, and William Crockett [Zondervan; New Ed edition - January 6, 1997]
- A look at hell from four different views.
- Gnosis. The Nature And History Of Gnosticism by Kurt Rudolph [T. & T. Clark Publishers - June 1998]
- A look at the early religion of Gnosticism.
- Greek Religion by Walter Burkert [Harvard University Press - July 26, 1985]
- This book takes a look at Greek religion in the 800-300 B.C. period.
- Archaeology and the New Testament by John McRay [Baker Academic - February 1, 2008]
- Maps, charts, diagrams of New Testament sites uncovered.
- Roman Society and Roman Law in the New Testament: The Sarum Lectures 1960-1961 by A. N. Sherwin-White [Wipf & Stock Publishers - June 2004]
- Gain insight and understanding of the Roman culture by taking a look at it's laws and society.
- The Twelve Caesars by Suetonius, Michael Grant, and Robert Graves [Penguin Classics - May 6, 2003]
- Suetonius writes similar to our tabloid journalists today who do not smooth over conflicting reports and like to highlight the private lives and personalities of his subjects.
- The Annals of Imperial Rome by Cornelius Tacitus, Alfred John Church, and William Jackson Brodbribb [Digireads.com - January 1, 2005]
- The history of the Roman Empire 14 A.D. - 66 A.D. (Tiberius to Nero)
- Eusebius' Ecclesiastical History by Eusebius Pamphilus and C. F. Cruse [Hendrickson Publishers; Updated edition - October 1, 1998]
- Named the "Father of Church History", Eusebius transcribed vital facts and information of the Christian Church in the first 3 centuries.
- Behind the Scenes of the New Testament by Paul William Barnett [InterVarsity Press - December 1990]
- A look at the 1st century Jews.
- The Greco-Roman World of the New Testament Era: Exploring the Background of Early Christianity by James S. Jeffers [InterVarsity Press - October 1999]
- Well written, this book will help you gain insight into what life was like for Christians in the 1st century.
- Jerusalem in the Time of Jesus: An Investigation into Economic & Social Conditions During the New Testament Period by Joachim Jeremias [Augsburg Fortress Publishers - June 1979]
- Economy, social classes, social positions discussed will give you insight into the world around Jesus.
- Daily Life at the Time of Jesus by Miriam Feinberg Vamosh [Palphot - July 10, 2007]
- Full of pictures this takes a simple look at daily life.
- New Testament History by F.F. Bruce [Galilee / Doubleday - March 15, 1983]
- Jesus and the history of two generations of Christians.
- New Testament Times: Understanding the World of the First Century by Merrill Tenney [Baker Books - May 1, 2004]
- Photographs, maps and charts help you visualize the 1st century world along with answers to questions that you may have.
- The Holy Land (The Ancient World) by Peter Connolly [Oxford University Press, USA - March 25, 1999]
- A reconstruction of the lives of the Jewish people up to the fall of Masada in 73 A.D.
- The Holy Temple of Jerusalem Chaim Richman [Carta - January 1997]
- An extensive look at the Temple services, vessels and rites.
- The Temple: Its Ministry and Services, Updated Edition by Alfred Edersheim [Hendrickson Publishers; Updated edition - January 1, 1994]
- Gain understanding of the Temple and its services through this book.
- The Ritual of the Temple in the Time of Christ by Leen Ritmeyer and Kathleen Ritmeyer [Carta Jerusalem - January 2002]
- Photographs, drawings and reconstruction models help visual the rituals of the Temple. Based on ancient sources and Alfred Eidersheim's work
- Sketches of Jewish Social Life in the Time of Christ by Alfred Edersheim [Boomer Books - February 28, 2007]
- Examines marriage, home, literature, etc in the time of Jesus.
- Life in Biblical Israel (Library of Ancient Israel) by Philip J. King and Lawrence E. Stager [Westminster John Knox Press; 1 edition - January 16, 2002]
- A look at the lifestyles and attitudes of Israel.
- The Life and Times of Jesus Messiah: New Updated Edition by Alfred Edersheim [Hendrickson Publishers; New Upd edition - July 1, 1993]
- A classic, this work portrays the culture and the people during Jesus' time.
- In Their Sandals by David, G Hansen [Xulon Press - January 25, 2007]
- Discover Jesus as those in the 1st century knew him. This book takes a fresh look at 9 different Bible accounts in the life of Jesus.
- The Mishnah by Herbert Danby [Oxford University Press, USA - December 31, 1933]
- A collection of Jewish traditions written down from oral law.
- The New Testament and The People of God by N.T. Wright
- An Introduction to the New Testament by D. A. Carson and Douglas J. Moo [Zondervan; 2 edition - September 1, 2005]
- This book takes the approach of looking at authorship, date and purpose to ensure that the New Testament is understood historically.
- Hard Sayings of Paul by Manfred T. Brauch [InterVarsity Press - June 1989]
- Looks at 48 difficult saying and supplies background information to help them become more understandable.
- Hard Sayings of Jesus by Frederick Fyvie Bruce [InterVarsity Press - June 1983]
- Looks at 70 difficult to understand passages.
- More Hard Sayings of the New Testament by Peter H. Davids [Hodder & Stoughton Religious - 1992]
- Dictionary of New Testament Background (The IVP Bible Dictionary Series) by Craig A. Evans and Stanley E. Porter [InterVarsity Press - November 2000]
- Excellent research tool in understand historical background.
- Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels (The IVP Bible Dictionary Series) by Joel B Green, Scot McKnight, and I Howard Marshall [InterVarsity Press - January 1992]
- A comprehensive look at Jesus and the Gospels.
- Dictionary of the Later New Testament & Its Developments (The IVP Bible Dictionary Series) by Ralph P. Martin and Peter H. Davids [InterVarsity Press - December 1997]
- Focuses on Acts, Hebrews, the Epistles, Revelation, the Church Fathers and Christianity up through the middle of the second century.
- The Complete Wordstudy New Testament With Greek Parallel by Spiros Zodhiates [AMG Publishers - September 1992]
- Text is KJV. A handy book to have in your reference library.